Monday, January 14, 2013

Strongman Competition



photo courtesy of David Salthouse

To start through my New Years Resolution "Year of Fitness" I participated in the Bigg Dogg Strongg Strongman Competition at Gold's Gym in Whippany, NJ. The Punch Belles as we like to call ourselves the are a bunch of us girls from my gym Punch Ketllebell Gym Norwalk, CT. The gym co/owner and trainer Stefanie Tropea does a lot of Strongman competitions, and she encouraged us to go. 

photo courtesy of David Salthouse

The Punch Belles are ready to go!
                                    photo courtesy of David Salthouse


We all competed in the Novice devision - because we are newbies and don't do this often. There were 4 events for us. First was the 120lb log press. Second was the 300lb Farmer's Carry. Third was 350lb deadlift. Fourth was 120lb Atlas Stones. My goal was to be able to complete 1 event, just one measly event. Surprisingly, I was able to do 2!! I almost got the log above my head, but not quite. When I went to lift the weight for the Farmer's Walk I couldn't budge it off the ground. It was HEAVY! When it was time for the deadlift (which was 50lbs heavier) I seriously asked Stef "how long do I have to try, cause I'm not gonna be able to get it". That's when the miracle of all miracles happened. It took 45 seconds of trial and error but I finally got that thing off the ground! It was an intense moment to say the least. The fourth event was the Atlas Stones. You pick it up, throw it over and repeat. I did 3 in one minute.

120lb Atlas Stones                                          

350lb Dead-lift

120lb Log Cl ean and Press
 
photos courtesy of David Salthouse



I had such a great time with the Punch Belles this weekend. Strongmen and Strongwomen competitors are wonderful people. Not only are they strong and good friends to have, but they are so positive and helpful too. Of course it is a competitive sport, but if you are struggling with your event there are a handful of people at all time willing to help you get the job done. I don't know of any other "sport" where your competition will lend you a belt, or wrist straps - or talk you through the right form. I had such a good time that I almost forgot about my 7 mile run with Team in Training the next morning!

I woke up sore and ready to just say forget it. If it wasn't for Jay  (my wonderful fiancee), I would have skipped out on the Team in Training run. He bought me a heatpack, and agreed to run with me! I was so glad that I went, there were over 20 people in attendance! I was supposed to run 7 miles, but I went slow and just allowed myself to see how far my body would allow. When everyone else was done with 7 miles, I was just about to 6 - pretty good for what I had been through the day before! 
                                     5.7 mile run Walnut Beach Milford, CT


photo courtesy of Jason Sandly


This weekend I learned how incredibly important it is to not give up on yourself. I had 100% given up on finishing any of the events at the competition - but somehow I pulled through. I also learned a lot about people, you cannot judge a book by its cover. No one would ever picture me hanging out at a Strongmen competition, let alone competing in one, and yet I did! Before focusing on getting healthy I never would have even thought I could do anything like that. That leads me to my third life lesson of the month - always always ALWAYS try new things, and never ever give up. You never know what could happen =)

<3 Kerry








No comments:

Post a Comment